The Julia L. Butterfield Memorial Library was established in 1913, through the Will of Mrs. Julia L. Butterfield. The Library building was built on the foundation of the Dutch Reform Church in 1922, with the Library doors opening in May of 1925.
During the next 80 years, the library happily served our community. In the early 2000s, as struggled to provide adequate library services, it became obvious that we needed secure funding.
In 2006, the Library secured funding from the Town of Philipstown taxpayers via a public vote. Prior to this, the Library received a gift from the town, but the amount was not secure and could be reduced or cut at any time.
After 9 years without an increase, the Butterfield Library again struggled to sustain our services without an increase in funding. In May of 2015, the Library passed a successful referendum within the Haldane Central School District.
Board of Trustees
Judy Meyer, President
Dennis Gagnon, Vice President
Michael LaRocco, Treasurer
Marjorie Gage, Secretary
Dinesh Kapoor, Trustee
Trustees are volunteers and are not compensated for their time. Each Butterfield Trustee appointment is approved by the Putnam County Surrogate Court of New York State. The Library operates under New York State Education and must meet library standards and guidelines.
The board meeting at 6:30 pmon the 3rd Wednesday of each month. All meetings are open to the public. To get a copy of the agenda and supporting documents, please contact Gillian Thorpe. If you wish to be put on the agenda, please contact us at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting.
Mrs. Julia L. Butterfield (Julia L. Safford James before her then-husband passed away in 1884; she married Daniel Butterfield in 1886) is pictured in the white dress with periwinkle sash. Seated next to her is her husband Mr. Fredrick James. Enjoying a picnic along the Hudson River with their friends, including the Hudson River School artist, Thomas Prichard Rossiter. Three paintings in the library's collection are by Thomas Rossiter. A Picnic on the Hudson, painted in 1863,
The painting is a veritable who’s who of 19th-century Cold Spring. It features such luminaries as Gouverneur Kemble and his brother William Kemble, co-founders of the West Point Foundry; artist Thomas Rossiter; U.S. Military Academy professor and painter Robert W. Weir; poet George Pope Morris; Robert Parrott, inventor of the Parrott rifled cannon; Gen. Gouverneur Kemble Warren, famed as “Hero of the Little Big Top” for his role at the Battle of Gettysburg; and Mr. and Mrs. Frederick P. James,
Rossiter’s other painting currently on loan to Boscobel is A View of the Hudson River From the Artist’s Home in Cold Spring, which features the landscape and river as seen from just east of the village. His 1861 portrait of Julia L. James (Butterfield) is also part of the library collection.
© Copyright Butterfield Library