Passport Acceptance Facility
Customers can apply for a NEW U.S. passport at the Butterfield Library which is an officially-designated passport application acceptance facility. Renewals are not done at a passport facility, you can complete on your own - learn more.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
You MUST apply in person if any of the following are true:
- You have never been issued a U.S. passport or
- You were under age 16 when your previous passport was issued or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was lost or stolen or
- Your name has changed since your previous U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
***WE DO NOT DO RENEWALS ***
RENEWALS ARE COMPLETED and MAILED ON YOUR OWN
IF you have a passport that is undamaged, issued less than 15 years ago, you were 16 or older when it was issued, and it's in your current name (or you can legally document the change) ... you can renew your passport on your own!
Q. What hours is the Passport Acceptance Facility open?
- Weekdays and Saturday by appointment only.
No walk-ins accepted.
Q. What do I need to bring with me?
- You will need to bring proof of ID, such as a driver’s license; proof of U.S. citizenship, such as an original or certified birth or naturalization certificate, or a previous U.S. passport; and the appropriate fees.
Q. Can I have my passport photo taken at the Library’s Passport Acceptance Office?
- Yes, we take passport photos. The charge is $10.00 for two photos of one customer.
MINOR PASSPORT INFORMATION
CHILDREN Age 15 and under: Both parents (or the child’s legal guardians) must appear with the child. Click here for more information if both parents cannot be present.
- Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship, such as an original birth certificate;
- Evidence of the child’s relationship to parents (original birth certificate); and
- Parents’ government-issued ID (such as driver’s license).
HOW TO APPLY
STEP 1: Complete and Print Form
- Enter the information online and then print Form DS-11 or
- Print a blank Form DS-11 and complete by hand or
- Get a blank Form DS-11 at the Butterfield Library and complete by hand
Note: Do not sign the DS-11 form until the Passport Agent instructs you to do so.
STEP 2: Submit Completed Form + Additional Documents
Submit your completed application form and the following additional documents.
Applicants 17 years old or younger, must provide a birth certificate in addition to 1 of the following:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (one of the following):
- U.S. birth certificate
- Previous U.S. passport (can be fully-valid or expired, but must be undamaged)
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship Certificate of a U.S. Birth Abroad
- Proof of Identity (one of the following; originals only—no copies):*
Note: The ID cannot be damaged and must readily identify you.
- Valid in-state driver's license (not temporary or learner's permit)
- Valid out-of-state driver's license (not temporary or learner's permit) If you have an out-of-state license, you MUST provide an additional proof of identity
- Previous U.S. passport book or passport card (can be fully valid or expired, but must be undamaged)
- Certificate of Naturalization with identifiable photo attached
- Certificate of Citizenship with identifiable photo attached
- Government employee identification card (federal, state, county, municipal)
- Official U.S. military or military dependent identification card
- Current (valid) foreign passport
Library offers photo services for a $10 fee. Applicants can also present one passport photograph taken within the past 6 months.
- Photos must be 2x2 inches in size (no exceptions).
- It must be a front view with a white background.
- The applicant must be the only person in the photo.
*For additional acceptable proof of identity materials, please visit travel.state.gov.
Take your photo in the privacy of your home using your smart phone!
This way, you can take the photo over and over until you are satisfied. Then just email it to us and we'll print it for your appointment!
Get a passport photo app from iTunes.
Get a passport photo app from Google Play
Passport Acceptance Facility is OPEN.
- Appointments can be made by clicking the button above.
- Then select an appointment by clicking on the day that works for you.
- You then click the "SIGN UP" button to fill out our Passport form. It helps us collect information about your application
- We will then send you an email confirming your appointment day and time.
STEP 3: Pay the Applicable Fees (see below)
Non Refundable Fees: The passport application fee and the execution fee are non-refundable. They are collected and retained by law even if a passport is not issued.
TWO payments are required:
- One made payable to the U.S. Department of State for the cost of your passport. Payment to the U.S. Department of State must be in the form of personal checks or money orders (no start checks accepted).
- One made payable to Butterfield Library for the application fee and/or photo. Payment to the Library can be check, money order or credit card. The Library will add a surcharge of 2.75 % to cover the cost of a credit card transaction.
APPLICATION FEES FROM THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE :
(age 16 and older)
Passport Book $110
Passport Card $30
Passport Book and Card $140
(age 15 or younger)
Passport Book $80
Passport Card $15
Passport Book and Card $95
(age 16 and older)
Passport Book $170
Passport Book and Card $200
Overnight return delivery of your new passport: add $15.89 to total cost
(age 15 or younger)
Passport Book $140
Passport Book and Card $155
Overnight delivery add $15.89 to total cost
Payment to the U.S. Department of State
must be in the form of personal checks or money orders
(no start checks accepted)
PAYMENT TO THE BUTTERFIELD LIBRARY
Execution Fee: $35/per new application
(no fee for renewals as we do not process renewals)
Photo Fee (optional): $10 to take/print a photo
Payment to Butterfield Library can be in the form of:
postal money orders
personal checks - no starter checks
Cash is not accepted
You may combine payments to the Library in one money order if there is more than one application
Find helpful community links on Philipstown.org - brought to you by The Desmond-Fish Library & The Butterfield Library.
Subscribe to Our News
© Copyright Butterfield Library